Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Frances "Fannie" Sarah Frye of Stockton received a receipt for $2 paid for a year's subscription to the New York Mercury.
This receipt was in the possession of Charles Bridges, a Castine native, who served in the Civil War in the 2nd Maine Infantry and the 80th United States Colored Troops. Bridges and Frye were married in 1865.
Bridges likely bought the subscription for Frye while he was traveling through New York.
About This Item
- Title: Frances Sarah Frye newspaper subscription, Stockton, 1864
- Creator: Frye, Frances Sarah
- Creation Date: 1864-04-05
- Subject Date: 1864-04-05
- Town: Castine, Stockton Spring
- County: Hancock, Waldo
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. 2114, Box 2/3
- Collection: Charles Bridges/80th U.S. Colored Volunteers Civil War records
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Bridges, Charles, b. ca. 1838--Family
- Bridges, Charles, b. ca. 1838--Friends & associates
- Bridges, Frances Sarah Frye--Family
- Frye, Frances Sarah--Friends & associates
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.