Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Charles Bridges of Castine, acting regimental quartermaster of the 8th Infantry Corps d'Afrique, transferred equipment to Calvin L. Haskell, 1st Lieutenant of Co. H. The equipment consisted mostly of clothing but also included camp equipment and rank insignia.
Prior to taking the position of quartermaster, Bridges had commanded Co. H. Before he received a commission in the 8th Infantry, Bridges had served in Co. B of the 2nd Maine Infantry for almost two years.
He enlisted on May 28, 1861 at age 23, and received his commission on March 9, 1863. He was mustered out on Feb. 10, 1865, when he also was promoted to captain.
About This Item
- Title: Lt. Bridges equipment transfer, Port Hudson, LA, 1863
- Creator: Bridges, Charles
- Creation Date: 1863-10-31
- Subject Date: 1863-10-31
- Town: Castine, Port Hudson
- County: Hancock
- State: LA, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. 2114, Box 1/5
- Collection: Charles Bridges/80th U.S. Colored Volunteers Civil War records
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Bridges, Charles, b. ca. 1838
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--African Americans
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Equipment and supplies
- United States. Army--Uniforms
- United States. Army. Colored Infantry Regiment, 8th (1863-1865)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.