John Bapst High School, Bangor, ca. 1938
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The caption reads, "John Bapst High School, Bangor, Maine." Located at 100 Broadway, the school opened in 1928. John Bapst High School was created to alleviate overcrowding at other Catholic schools in the area. For four decades the school operated with females in the south wing of the school and males in the north wing with the auditorium separating the wings. The school was eventually reorganized to permit a coeducational environment. The school was named in honor of John Bapst, a Jesuit missionary and educator who among other things built the first Catholic church in Bangor in 1856. It later became a non-religious private high school. The Tichnor Brothers printing company published this type of postcard circa 1930-1945.