Augusta House, ca. 1938
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
A postcard shows the Augusta House Hotel, first built in 1831 to accommodate the needs of the state capital moving in 1832 from Portland to Augusta. The "first-class" hotel was renovated many times, including during the Civil War, when the capital filled with people and extra accommodations were needed. The Tichnor Brothers printing company published this type of postcard circa 1938 as part of their Maine series. These, and other postcards, by the Tichnor Brothers Company are officially known as the Tichnor Gloss Series because the photographs were retouched on such a level that does not allow the postcards to be classified as photographs or paintings.