Contributed by Edmund S. Muskie Archives and Special Collections Library
Second Lt. Charles A. Garcelon, of Co. I in the 16th Maine Infantry, wrote to his aunt Jane Waldron about seeing the remains of the battlefield, including a cemetery.
The Battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam) took place on Sept. 18, 1862, almost a week before Garcelon wrote this letter. The regiment was not involved in the fighting.
He also commented on drinking among officers and his own temperance pledge. He added, "I don't wish to say anything in regard to our Acting Brig that is disrespectful but I will say I have seen him quite weak in the joints."
About This Item
- Title: C.A. Garcelon from near Sharpsburg, 1862
- Creator: Garcelon, Charles Augustus
- Creation Date: 1862-09-23
- Media: Pencil on paper
- Local Code: MC106 B
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Edmund S. Muskie Archives and Special Collections Library
Bates College, 70 Campus Avenue, Lewiston, ME 04240-6018
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Garcelon, Charles A.--Correspondence
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Maine--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 16th (1862-1865). Company F
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.