Contributed by Edmund S. Muskie Archives and Special Collections Library
Charles Garcelon, 2nd lieutenant in Co. I of the 16th Maine Infantry., wrote to his father, Dr. Alonzo Garcelon, from Rappahannock Station, Virginia, about his war service.
"Father if ever I do get in battle I will try to sustain the Garcelon name. I shall try to do my duty to my country and my God," he wrote.
The younger Garcelon added, "I cannot think war in general is right, but this war is for the protection of our glorious Country."
He also asked for hometown newspapers from Lewiston.
About This Item
- Title: Charles Garcelon to father, Virginia, 1862
- Creator: Garcelon, Charles Augustus
- Creation Date: 1862-11-10
- Town: Rappahannock Station
- State: VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: MC106 K
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Edmund S. Muskie Archives and Special Collections Library
Bates College, 70 Campus Avenue, Lewiston, ME 04240-6018
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Garcelon, Charles A.--Correspondence
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Maine--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military discharges--United States--1860-1870
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 16th (1862-1865). Company F
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.