Contributed by Edmund S. Muskie Archives and Special Collections Library
Dr. Alonzo Garcelon of Lewiston, the surgeon in chief for Maine, was given orders to prepare two additional medical chests "fully supplied and furnished" for new regiments. He had been instructed to prepare such equipment for four regiments two months previous when he was named surgeon in chief.
Garcelon was a graduate of Bowdoin College and the Medical College of Ohio. His family was among the earliest settlers of Lewiston.
About This Item
- Title: Order for medical supplies for more regiments, Augusta, 1861
- Creator: Adjutant General, State of Maine
- Creation Date: 1861-06-19
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: MC106
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Edmund S. Muskie Archives and Special Collections Library
Bates College, 70 Campus Avenue, Lewiston, ME 04240-6018
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Maine--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Ambulance Service
- Medicine Military
- Surgery United States Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military hospitals
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.