Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Grenville Sparrow of Portland (1836-1907) was 25 when he enlisted in Co. A of the 17th Maine Infantry on August 18, 1862.
Sparrow was promoted several times, achieving the rank of captain. Sparrow was issued -- and wore -- these white wool long underwear during his service in the Civil War.
About This Item
- Title: Sparrow long underwear, ca. 1862
- Creation Date: circa 1862
- Subject Date: circa 1862
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Wool
- Local Code: 1998.453.16
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 17th (1861-1865)
- Sparrow, Granville Fontaine, 1837-1907--Associated objects
- Maine----History--Civil War, 1861-1865
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.