West Oxford Agricultural Society fair, ca. 1880
The photograph shows a parade at the track and the judge's stand at the "old" Fryeburg Fair, prior to 1885.
Peleg Wadsworth, Samuel Stickney, E.L. Osgood and John W. Dana, who formed the West Oxford Agricultural Society, organized the fair in 1851.
For its first seven years, the fair rotated between Fryeburg, Brownfield, Porter, Denmark and Lovell.
On Oct. 6, 1885 the Society bought the present-day Fryeburg Fairgrounds and since then, the fair has been held in Fryeburg.