Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Harrison Sargent of Kennebunkport enlisted at age 38 on September 19, 1862 as a private in Co. C of the 5th Maine Infantry Regiment. He was listed as a deserter on June 30, 1863.
Sargent wrote to Benjamin H. Hinds of the Maine Agency Sanitary Commission on Nov., 13, 1864 from the U.S. General Hospital at Point Lookout, Maryland, seeking pay. He had previously corresponded with Hinds, who had written back asking if Sargent had been court martialed.
Sargent wrote that he never knew he was a deserter until a new pay master at the hospital told him he was so listed.
Sargent made a plea to Hinds for his back pay for to help support his wife and two children. He wrote that his wife said "she will have to go on the town farm this winter" if he couldn't get his pay for her.
Sargent also noted that other soldiers were allowed to return to Maine to vote, but that he was not. He said an agent came to the hospital and "took votes." Sargent wrote, "I went and voted the Union once more.. so they did not fool me out of my vote."
About This Item
- Title: Soldier plea for pay, Maryland, 1864
- Creator: Sargent, Harrison
- Creation Date: 1864-11-13
- Subject Date: 1864
- State: MD
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20.2 cm x 16.5 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1533, Box 2/2
- Collection: Maine Agency Sanitary Commission records
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States Sanitary Commission
- Maine Agency Sanitary Commission
- Hinds, Benjamin H.--Correspondence
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Civilian relief
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 5th (1861-1864)
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 5th (1861-1864)--Salaries, etc.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.