Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Nathaniel C. Davis of Biddeford, a private in Co. F of the 32nd Maine Infantry, is listed in official records as being 18 when he enlisted on May 4, 1864.
In October 1864, Davis wrote to the Maine Agency Sanitary Commission from Harewood Hospital in Washington, D.C., requesting a furlough. He stated that he was not old enough to serve and that he was filling a "man's place in the army."
Davis was promoted to corporal in December 1864 and transferred to Co. F of the 31st Maine Infantry. He was mustered out of the service on July 15, 1865.
Davis was born Jan. 5, 1847, which would have made him 17 when he enlisted.
About This Item
- Title: Underage soldier request for furlough, Washington, 1864
- Creator: Davis, Nathaniel C.
- Creation Date: 1864-10-27
- Town: Biddeford, Washington
- County: York
- State: DC, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 19.5 cm x 11.9 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1533, Box 2/1
- Collection: Maine Agency Sanitary Commission
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Maine Agency Sanitary Commission
- Maine--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military leaves and furloughs
- United States Sanitary Commission
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 31st (1864-1865). Company F
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 32nd (1864).
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.