Mary Palmer was a teacher in the Home Economics department from 1924-1929 at the Farmington State Normal School. Her short tenure on campus had a lasting impact. A devoted gardener, Mary Palmer cultivated a flower garden behind the Home Economics Cottage.
A year after Mary's untimely death in 1934, the garden was named for her. The garden as it exists today, between Preble and Ricker Halls, retains the original sign and sundial. In this photo dated 1930, Mary is seated in the garden.