Shepard Cary receipt from Isaac L. Cornelius, Fort Fairfield, 1848
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Shepard Cary, prominent Houlton merchant, legislator and lumberman was agent for the Aroostook Boom Company at Ft. Fairfield.
The company gathered white pine timber "sticks" harvested in the Aroostook River Watershed and arranged for their transportation, often to Fredericton, New Brunswick. Many of the logs were shipped farther downriver to St. John, New Brunswick.
Shepard Cary's brother-in-law Collins Whitaker served as his principal agent at St. John, as well as U.S. Consul there. With this receipt Isaac L. Cornelius acknowledged receipt of a raft of 71 sticks of white pine timber for which he was to be paid 5 pounds upon delivery at Spring Hill (Fredericton).
The receipt, dated May 15, 1848, shows a continuation of the earlier spelling of "Arestook," despite the fact that the spelling of "Aroostook" was chosen officially in 1839 when Aroostook County separated from Washington County.