Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Nelson W. Jones, the son of Nelson and Hanna Jones of Palermo, was 18 when he enlisted in Co. I of the Maine 3rd Infantry Regiment on June 4, 1861 as a private.
Jones was promoted to sergeant. He was killed at the Battle of Gettysburg on July 2, 1863.
About This Item
- Title: Sgt. Nelson W. Jones, 3rd Maine Infantry, ca. 1862
- Creation Date: circa 1862
- Subject Date: circa 1862
- Town: Palermo
- County: Waldo
- State: ME
- Media: Tintype
- Dimensions: 18 cm x 12.5 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2003, Box 2/8
- Collection: Early photography collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 3rd (1861-1864)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.