Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
In 1775 Captain Henry Mowat of the British Navy bombarded Portland (then Falmouth) with incendiary ammunition setting part of the city ablaze.
This image of Portland was taken from a printing plate that was manufactured about 1781.
About This Item
- Title: The town of Falmouth, burnt by Capt. Moet, October 18, 1775
- Creation Date: circa 1781
- Subject Date: 1775-10-18
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photograph, map
- Local Code: GA 67
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States--History--Revolution, 1775-1783--Maps--Campaigns & battles
- British forces
- Falmouth (Me.)--Burning by the British--Maps
- Naval warfare
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.