Sidewalk work, Biddeford, ca. 1934
Contributed by Maine State Archives
Street scene from the Great Depression. The federal government put thousands of jobless Americans to work in a variety of construction projects across the nation.
Here in Biddeford, workers install a new sidewalk. The price advertised in the store window -- two cans of juice for 29 cents -- was more than many folks could afford in the 1930s.
- Title: Sidewalk work, Biddeford, ca. 1934
- Creation Date: circa 1934
- Subject Date: circa 1934
- Town: Biddeford
- County: York
- State: ME
- Media: silver gelatin print
- Dimensions (cm): 9.5 x 14
- Local Code: ferast20
- Collection: Records of the Maine Emergency Relief Authority (under auspices of the Federal Emergency Relief Authority)
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine State Archives
84 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0084
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Share what you know about this item
... Or if there's a problem with this page, tell us.
Have a similar item and want it appraised? Check our Note on Appraisals.