Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Margaret Gray of Old Town wrote to Leonard Watson, Maine Agency Sanitary Commission in March 1864, pleading with him to help return her son from the war.
She wrote that he was underage when he enlisted and she did not give him permission.
She previously had visited the Sanitary Commission office in Washington, D.C.
About This Item
- Title: Mother seeking return of soldier son, Old Town, 1864
- Creator: Gray, Margaret
- Creation Date: 1864-03-27
- Subject Date: 1864
- Town: Old Town
- County: Penobscot
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20 cm x 12.5 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1533, Box 1/3
- Collection: Maine Agency Sanitary Commission records
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States. Army--Recruiting, enlistment, etc.
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Civilian relief
- United States Sanitary Commission
- Maine Agency Sanitary Commission
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Leonard, Watson--Correspondence
- Families--Maine--Old Town
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.