Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Edward R. Spear wrote to Col. Elijah Walker of the 4th Maine Infantry asking him how Otis Spear (Harry's boy) was doing as a soldier. Edward wrote that, if Otis Spear were deserving, he would like a recommendation to get him a promotion.
Otis Spear enlisted in Co. B of the 4th Maine Infantry as a private on June 15, 1861. He was promoted to corporal on August 25, 1861.
He was transferred into the 19th Infantry in July 1864.
About This Item
- Title: Inquiry about soldier's promotion, Augusta, 1864
- Creator: Spear, Edward R.
- Creation Date: 1864-03-10
- Subject Date: 1864
- Town: Augusta
- County: Kennebec
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20.8 cm x 12.7 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1533, Box 1/3
- Collection: Maine Agency Sanitary Commission records
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Civilian relief
- United States Sanitary Commission
- Maine Agency Sanitary Commission
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army--Promotions
- Military promotions
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 4th (1861-1864). Company B
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.