Contributed by Maine Historical Society
P.L. Strout of Co. E of the 19th Maine Volunteers asked Leonard Watson, Maine Agent for the Sanitary Commission, for assistance in helping two soldiers, James B. Sweetser, a private; and Stephen E. Woodbury, a corporal, who both were seamen, transfer to the navy.
Strout wrote, "They are good boys and to me it would be very gratifying to see them more agreeably situated although it would be pleasant to have them remain in the company."
Sweetser of Searsport was 22 when he enlisted in Co. E of the 19th Maine Infantry on August 25, 1862. He transferred out of that regiment on April 15, 1864, presumably to the navy, about a month after Strout's request.
Woodbury, also of Searsport, was 25 when he enlisted on the same date. He was later promoted to corporal in 1864 and was mustered out on June 9, 1865. He apparently remained in the 19th Maine.
About This Item
- Title: Request for soldier transfers to navy, Virginia, 1864
- Creator: Strout, P. L.
- Creation Date: 1864-03-03
- Subject Date: 1864
- Town: Stevensburg
- State: VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 24.7 cm x 19.7 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1533, Box 1/3
- Collection: Maine Agency Sanitary Commission records
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Leonard, Warren--Correspondence
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 19th (1862-1865)
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Civilian relief
- United States Sanitary Commission
- Maine Agency Sanitary Commission
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.