Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Grenville Sparrow of Portland, who enlisted in Co. A of the 17th Maine in 1862 and moved through the ranks, was promoted to captain in July 1864.
Sparrow (1836-1907) wore this cartridge belt during 30 engagements in which he was involved during the war.
After the war, he returned to the Portland area.
About This Item
- Title: Grenville Sparrow cartridge belt, ca. 1862
- Creation Date: circa 1861
- Subject Date: circa 1861
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Canvas; metal
- Local Code: 1998.453.18
- Collection: Capt. Granville F. Sparrow Civil War collection
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 17th (1861-1865)
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Equipment and supplies
- Weapons and ammunition
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Equipment & supplies
- Sparrow, Granville Fontaine, 1837-1907--Associated objects
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.