Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Dr. Charles N. Thomas of Portland wrote to the Maine Agency Sanitary Commission in Washington, D.C., certifying that he was treating George Devine of Co. G, 5th Maine Volunteers, who was too ill to return to service.
The doctor commented that Devine might never be well enough to return to the service.
About This Item
- Title: Doctor's letter certifying ill soldier, Portland, 1863
- Creator: Thomas, Charles N.
- Creation Date: 1863-09-23
- Subject Date: 1863
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20.2 cm x 12.3 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1533, Box 1/2
- Collection: Maine Agency Sanitary Commission records
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 5th (1861-1864)
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Civilian relief
- United States Sanitary Commission
- Maine Agency Sanitary Commission
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Medical care
- War wounds
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.