Contributed by Maine Historical Society
George E. Sawyer of Co. B, 31st Maine Volunteers, wrote to Mr. Watson, an agent of the Maine Sanitary Commission noting that he had not been paid for six months and hoped to be paid before he returned to the front.
Sawyer was at Wolf Street Hospital in Alexandria, Virginia.
About This Item
- Title: Letter seeking back pay, Virginia, 1861
- Creator: Sawyer, George E.
- Creation Date: 1861-08-12
- Subject Date: 1861
- Town: Alexandria
- State: VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 18.2 cm x 11.3 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1533, Box 1/1
- Collection: Maine Agency Sanitary Commission
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Maine Agency Sanitary Commission
- Watson, Leonard--Correspondence
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Medical care
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Hospitals
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States Sanitary Commission
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 31st (1864-1865)--Salaries, etc.
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Civilian relief
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.