Main Street, Canton, ca. 1900
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This image by an unknown photographer records the main street of Canton village in Oxford County about 1900. Main Street is now Route 140.
The Ellis family ran the store at left until it closed in the 1970s. The second building from the left was a barber shop. The third building was an unsuccessful store, and then a laundromat. The fourth was the tannery, which burned in a set fire. The streets were paved in the 1950s. Still standing is the right hand building.