Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Captain Raymond W. Lewis of the ship Oakey L. Alexander purposely ran the ship aground off the coast of Cape Elizabeth in order to save his crew.
The U.S. Coast Guard mounted this rescue using a breeches buoy on March 3, 1947. All the crew members were saved.
About This Item
- Title: Rescue of Oakey L. Alexander crew, Cape Elizabeth, 1947
- Creation Date: 1947-03-03
- Subject Date: 1947-03-03
- Town: Cape Elizabeth
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photograph, jpg
- Dimensions: 13 cm x 18 cm
- Local Code: Photographs--Vessels--Shipwrecks
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Marine accidents--Maine--Cape Elizabeth
- Oakey L. Alexander (Ship)--Photographs
- Rescues--Maine--Cape Elizabeth--Photographs
- Storms--Maine--Cape Elizabeth
- United States. Coast Guard--Rescues--Photographs
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.