Contributed by Maine Historical Society
The Three Mile Island Nuclear Power Plant emergency shutdown spurred the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to shut down the Maine Yankee plant as well as four others.
In May 1979, the NRC allowed Maine Yankee to reopen, thus spurring protest movements that led to an unsuccessful referendum in September 1980 to close the plant.
About This Item
- Title: Protestors with Gov. Brennan, May 25, 1979
- Creator: Willman, Gene
- Creation Date: 1979-05-25
- Subject Date: 1979-05-25
- Town: Augusta, Wiscasset
- County: Kennebec, Lincoln
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 20 cm x 26 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1880, Box 1/4
- Collection: United Press International collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.