Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
George Edwards (1839-1862) was born in Gorham, the son of James Harker Roach Edwards and Emeline "Abby" McLellan. He was a member of the Class of 1862 at Bowdoin College.
He enlisted as 2nd lieutenant in the 16th Maine Infantry in February 1862 and was promoted to full 1st lieutenant on Dec. 31, 1862. He was killed at the Battle of Fredericksburg, Virginia, on Dec. 13, 1862, while leading his troops in a bayonet charge.
About This Item
- Title: Lt. George W. Edwards, 16th Maine, 1862
- Creator: J. S Hendee, Augusta
- Creation Date: 1862
- Subject Date: circa 1862
- Town: Augusta
- County: Kennebec
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 10 cm x 6 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 135, Box 1/20
- Collection: Small, Abner R. papers
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- 16th Maine volunteers--Photographs.
- Edwards, George W. (1839-1862)--Photographs
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Regimental Histories--Photographs.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.