Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Young Women's Christian Association set up tents along Congress Street, between Market and Pearl Streets, during the Maine Centennial observance in July 1920.
"In Service For The Girls Of The World," the motto of the YWCA, is written on the banner strung across the street. The YWCA gave centennial guests access to a cafeteria, restrooms, and a hostess house.
About This Item
- Title: YWCA tent, Maine Centennial, Portland, 1920
- Creator: Portland Press Herald, Evening Express
- Creation Date: 1920
- Subject Date: 1920
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 12.7 cm x 17.8 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.2974
- Collection: Portland Press Herald Glass Negative Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.