Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Elaine May Robinson (1912-1987) married Merton Wilder Mitchell on June 26, 1939 at the home of Elaine's aunt and uncle in Peru.
Elaine Robinson's mother, Mabelle F. Sawyer Robinson, made the wedding dress from a Butterick pattern. It is made of sheer white organdy and had a silk hoop slip underneath.
The bride also wore the 1842 silk and lace cap that her great grandmother had worn at her wedding.
About This Item
- Title: Elaine Robinson Mitchell wedding dress, Peru, 1939
- Creator: Robinson, Mabelle Sawyer
- Creation Date: 1939
- Subject Date: 1939
- Town: Peru
- County: Oxford
- State: ME
- Media: Organdy
- Local Code: 2005.328.001
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Butterick Company
- Wedding costume--Maine
- Mitchell, Merton Wilder, 1899-1970--Marriage
- Marriage customs and rites
- Weddings--Equipment and supplies
- Wedding clothing & dress--1930-1940
- Mitchell, Elaine Robinson, 1912-1987--Marriage
- Butterick Fashion Marketing Co.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.