Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This is a very early map of the area around Bath and a small piece of Brunswick. The Pejepscot Company commissioned the map that is entitled, "Brunswick in the late Province of Mayne in New England, Jan. 28, 1718." Because calendar conventions changed, the date -- in contemporary usage -- would be 1719.
Only the southern tip of the map is in Brunswick.
The note attached later to this map says, "The word 'Ac-que-ha-don-go-nock' should probably be written 'Ug-hi-a-du-ag-qan-ock' which is compounded of Ug-hi-a-du, - it finishes Ag-wan - smoked fish with Ock- the customary terminal syllable denoting place. Thus the meaning will be 'Smoking Fish Point.'"
The scale of the map is [1:7920] 40 perch = 1 inch.
The Pejepscot Company was formed at a time when the Massachusetts General Court was encouraging settlement and the laying out of townships in the "eastern country," which included the Province of Maine.
The Pejepscot Company laid out Brunswick, Topsham, Lewiston and Harpswell.
About This Item
- Title: Early Bath area map, 1719
- Creator: Heath, Joseph
- Creation Date: 1718-01-28
- Subject Date: 1718-01-28
- Town: Brunswick
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: ink on paper, col.
- Dimensions: 47 cm x 61 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 61, Map 53
- Collection: Proprietors of the Township of Brunswick Pejepscot Proprietors papers
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Bath (Me.)--Maps, manuscript--Early works to 1800
- Brunswick (Me.)--Maps, manuscript--Early works to 1800
- Land companies--Maine--Maps
- Land grants--Maine--Maps
- Land settlement--Maine--Maps
- Maine--History--Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775--Maps, manuscript--Early works to 1800
- Pejepscot Company--Maps, manuscript--Early works to 1800
- Real property--Maine--Maps
- Early contact & settlement
- Grape Island
- Hoyle Island
- Indians of North America
- Indians, Native American sites, Maps
- Kemers Island
- Maps, Early
- Maps, Manuscript.
- Merrymeeting Bay
- Nature, geography & animals
- Pejepscot Proprietors
- Personal writing
- to 1800.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.