William Black canteen, ca. 1861
This canteen was used during the Civil War by Capt. William H. Black of Co. K, 26th Maine volunteers. Black served for nine months in 1862 and 1863. Black was from Ellsworth. The regiment was organized in Bangor on October 11, 1862 and disbanded August 17, 1863. They served in Washington, D.C., then in Louisiana for the remainder of their enlistment.