Contributed by Maine Historical Society
This canteen was used during the Civil War by Capt. William H. Black of Co. K, 26th Maine volunteers. Black served for nine months in 1862 and 1863. Black was from Ellsworth.
The regiment was organized in Bangor on October 11, 1862 and disbanded August 17, 1863. They served in Washington, D.C., then in Louisiana for the remainder of their enlistment.
About This Item
- Title: William Black canteen, ca. 1861
- Creation Date: circa 1861
- Subject Date: circa 1861
- Media: Tin
- Local Code: 1991.154
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Equipment
- United States. Army. Maine infanty regiment, 26th (1862-1863)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.