Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Frances L. Larrabee (Mrs. Sydney) of Portland posed as James McNeill Whistler's famous painting, Arrangement in Gray and Black: The Artist's Mother.
Whistler (1834-1903) painted the portrait in 1871.
Larrabee dressed the part of the painting for an "Exhibition of Pictures" at First Parish Church in Portland. Church members dressed as noted paintings for the evening entertainment.
About This Item
- Title: Frances L. Larrabee as 'Arrangement in Gray and Black,' 1923
- Creation Date: 1923-12-15
- Subject Date: 1923-12-15
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 25 cm x 20 cm
- Local Code: Photographs--Portland-Churches--First Parish
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Whistler, James McNeill, 1843-1903. Arrangement in gray and black, no. 1
- First Parish Church (Portland, Me.)
- Larrabee, Frances L.--Performances
- First Parish Church (Portland, Me.)--Performances
- First Parish Church (Portland, Me.)--Social aspects
- First Parish Church (Portland, Me.)--Exhibitions & displays
- First Parish Church (Portland, Me.)--People
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.