Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Phyliss M. St. Felix Thaxter (Mrs. Sydney) dressed as the Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830) painting, Miss Farren, took part in the "Exhibition of Pictures" at First Parish Church in Portland in 1923.
The evening entertainment featured 29 church members dressed as noted portraits, along with historical interpretation and music.
Elizabeth Farren, the subject of the Lawrence portrait, was a celebrated comic actress and later Countess of Derby. The painting was done in about 1790.
About This Item
- Title: Phyliss M. St. F. Thaxter as 'Miss Farren,' Portland, 1923
- Creation Date: 1923-12-15
- Subject Date: 1923-12-15
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 25 cm x 17 cm
- Local Code: Photographs--Portland-Churches--First Parish
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- First Parish Church (Portland, Me.)--Performances
- First Parish Church (Portland, Me.)--Social aspects
- Thaxter, Phyliss M. St. Felix--Performances
- Farren, Elizabeth, 1762-1829--Portrayals
- Lawrence, Thomas, Sir, 1769-1830
- First Parish Church (Portland, Me.)--Exhibitions & displays
- Farren, Elizabeth, 1762-1829--Portraits
- First Parish Church (Portland, Me.)--People
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.