Portrait of Elizabeth (Junkins/Jenkins) Putnam, York and Houlton, ca. 1840
Contributed by Museums of Old York
This grisaille and watercolor portrait on paper depicts Elizabeth (Junkins/Jenkins) Putnam (ca. 1812-1846) of York, who was believed to be the daughter of Samuel and Patty (Barnard) Jenkins/Junkins. In 1837 she married John Varnum Putnam (1802-1879) of Houlton, the son of John and Sally (Rich) Putnam.
Elizabeth was the mother of Black Hawk Putnam (1838-1909), the Captain of Company E First Maine Cavalry during the Civil War. Her early death prevented her from seeing any of her three surviving children grow to maturity.
- Title: Portrait of Elizabeth (Junkins/Jenkins) Putnam, York and Houlton, ca. 1840
- Creation Date: circa 1840
- Subject Date: circa 1840
- Town: Houlton, Middletown, York
- County: Aroostook, Frederick, York
- State: ME, VA
- Media: Grisaille and watercolor on paper
- Dimensions (cm): 35.7 x 30.6
- Local Code: 1981.82
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:
Museums of Old York
P.O. Box 312, York, ME 03909
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.