Contributed by Old York Historical Society
This grisaille and watercolor portrait on paper depicts Elizabeth (Junkins/Jenkins) Putnam (ca. 1812-1846) of York, who was believed to be the daughter of Samuel and Patty (Barnard) Jenkins/Junkins. In 1837 she married John Varnum Putnam (1802-1879) of Houlton, the son of John and Sally (Rich) Putnam.
Elizabeth was the mother of Black Hawk Putnam (1838-1909), the Captain of Company E First Maine Cavalry during the Civil War. Her early death prevented her from seeing any of her three surviving children grow to maturity.
About This Item
- Title: Portrait of Elizabeth (Junkins/Jenkins) Putnam, York and Houlton, ca. 1840
- Creation Date: circa 1840
- Subject Date: circa 1840
- Town: Houlton, Middletown, York
- County: Aroostook, Frederick, York
- State: ME, VA
- Media: Grisaille and watercolor on paper
- Dimensions: 35.7 cm x 30.6 cm
- Local Code: 1981.82
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Old York Historical Society
P.O. Box 312, York, ME 03909
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.