Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This garden path leads to the library of the Maine Historical Society.
Founded in 1822, it is the fourth oldest state historical society in the country. The library is situated next to the the Wadsworth-Longfellow House, the boyhood home of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
Anne Longfellow Pierce bequeathed the house to the Maine Historical Society and specified that the society build its headquarters behind the house, where the barn used to be. The building was built in 1907.
About This Item
- Title: Maine Historical Society Research Library, Portland, ca. 1995
- Creator: Trueworthy, Nancy S.
- Creation Date: circa 1995
- Subject Date: circa 1995
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Postcard
- Dimensions: 10 cm x 15 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 4014; Box 3, Houses, Longfellow house and garden
- Collection: Postcard collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.