Contributed by Maine Historical Society
A description of George S. Jewett's self-heating can for fruits, vegetables or other items. He received a patent on the can in 1903 and this description is endorsed on the back with a stamp dated May 23, 1903, "Office of Com.Gen. of Subs. War Department."
The flyer explains how the can works and notes it would be useful at "picnics and upon camping expeditions" and allows the user to heat the contents without building a fire.
About This Item
- Title: Jewett Self-Heating Can promotion, ca. 1903
- Creator: Jewett, George S.
- Creation Date: circa 1903
- Subject Date: circa 1903
- Town: Norridgewock
- County: Somerset
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 27.5 cm x 24 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1532, Box 8
- Collection: Jewett Family papers
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.