Contributed by Stanley Museum
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
L.F.N. (Leon) Baldwin prepares for an exhibition run at the inaugural races at Old Orchard Beach, held on Labor Day Weekend, 1911. Baldwin's car, No.3, is a special 30 hp Stanley steam race car, one of two designed for long-distance events, specifically the Vanderbilt Cup races in 1906. In one of his runs on the beach, Baldwin set a speed record for a mile in 39 seconds, 92.3 mph.
About This Item
- Title: Stanley Steam Racer on Old Orchard Beach, September 1911
- Creation Date: 1911
- Subject Date: 1911
- Town: Old Orchard Beach
- County: York
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 8.1 cm x 14.3 cm
- Collection: Joseph Freeman Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Stanley Museum
street: 40 School Street, mailing: PO BOX 77, Kingfield, ME 04947
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Stanley Steamer automobile--Maine--Old Orchard Beach
- Automobile racing--Maine--Old Orchard Beach
- Racing automobiles--Maine--Old Orchard Beach
- Automobile racing drivers--Maine--Old Orchard Beach
- Photographers--Maine--Old Orchard Beach
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.