Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Commissioned first lieutenant in the 20th Maine Volunteer Infantry, John Marshall Brown of Portland served under Joshua Chamberlain.
Brown kept leather-bound journals of his experiences, often adding sketches descriptions. This journal begins in December 1862 and continues into early 1863, with information and a several sketches.
At the back of the journal are rosters and other personnel details of the 20th Maine.
About This Item
- Title: John Marshall Brown private notebook, 1862
- Creator: Brown, John Marshall
- Creation Date: 1862 - 1863
- Subject Date: 1862 - 1863
- Media: Ink on paper; leather
- Dimensions: 18.3 cm x 11.5 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2145, Box 6/MS 2
- Collection: John Marshall Brown collection
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Brown, John Marshall, 1838-1907--Diary
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military life
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 20th (1862-1865)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.