John Marshall Brown private notebook, 1862
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Commissioned first lieutenant in the 20th Maine Volunteer Infantry, John Marshall Brown of Portland served under Joshua Chamberlain.
Brown kept leather-bound journals of his experiences, often adding sketches descriptions. This journal begins in December 1862 and continues into early 1863, with information and a several sketches.
At the back of the journal are rosters and other personnel details of the 20th Maine.
- Title: John Marshall Brown private notebook, 1862
- Creator: Brown, John Marshall
- Creation Date: 1862 - 1863
- Subject Date: 1862 - 1863
- Media: Ink on paper; leather
- Dimensions (cm): 18.3 x 11.5
- Local Code: Coll. 2145, Box 6/MS 2
- Collection: John Marshall Brown
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives
United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 20th (1862-1865)
Brown, John Marshall, 1838-1907--Diary
Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
Share what you know about this item
... Or if there's a problem with this page, tell us.
We do NOT offer appraisals on like items. Check our Note on Appraisals.