Contributed by Rockland Historical Society
The Mary Anne was built for the Holmes Packing Company of Eastport, owned by Moses Pike of Lubec.
It was the first refrigerated sardine carrier, bubbling chilled salt water and air up though the hundred-ton load of herring that the vessel could carry.
About This Item
- Title: Sardine carrier Mary Anne afloat, Thomaston, 1947
- Creator: Cullen, Sidney L.
- Creation Date: 1947
- Subject Date: 1947
- Town: Thomaston
- County: Knox
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 19.5 cm x 24.8 cm
- Local Code: Pike 12
- Collection: Anne Pike Rugh/Rockland Courier Gazette collection, Rockland Historical Society
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Rockland Historical Society
P.O. Box 1331, 80 Union Street, Rockland, ME 04841
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Boat & ship industry--Maine--Thomaston
- Fishing boats--Maine--Thomaston
- Mary Anne (Boat)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.