The Atlantic House, Scarborough, ca. 1960
The Atlantic House, shown here in the 1960s, came into being in 1855 when Enoch Nutter rented out rooms out in his farm house at Scarborough Beach. Additions were built in 1877 and 1911, and a portion of the hotel was torn down around 1911-1912. For many years cattle could be seen grazing on the front lawn of the Atlantic House because it was still a working farm. In 1923 Joseph Knight became the owner of the hotel, and promptly modernized and redecorated it. He had local artist Roger Deering paint murals for the lobby. These murals are now on display at the Scarborough Historical Society. Joseph Knight's son, Harry, ran the hotel after his fathers retirement until his early death. The hotel was sold and continued operating until 1988, when it was torn down and turned into condominiums.