Civil War Cap Case and Caps owned by Luther Lawrence, ca. 1862
Contributed by North Yarmouth Historical Society
This small case contained the percussion caps Capt. Lawrence needed to fire his musket. The caps looked like tiny top hats and were filled with fulminate of mercury which, when struck by the hammer, would spark and set fire to the powder into the musket barrel. The case was likely carried by Capt. Lawrence when he was killed in battle.
- Title: Civil War Cap Case and Caps owned by Luther Lawrence, ca. 1862
- Creation Date: circa 1862
- Subject Date: circa 1862
- Town: Deep Bottom
- County: Henrico
- State: VA
- Media: Leather, metal
- Dimensions (cm): 4.3 x 9.4 x 9.5
- Local Code: Collection 64
- Collection: Luther Lawrence Items, Collection 64
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Share what you know about this item
... Or if there's a problem with this page, tell us.
We do NOT offer appraisals on like items. Check our Note on Appraisals.