Frank Chase home, Main Street, Cumberland, ca. 1900
The Frank Chase house, at left, and commercial greenhouse, at right, is currently addressed as 331 Main Street, Cumberland. A small building with a tall chimney can be seen in the center of the photograph between the residence and greenhouse. This was where the heat for the greenhouse was generated. Frank Chase built the greenhouse after the greenhouse he had with his brother Arno Chase, located on Tuttle Road in Cumberland, burned. The area in and around Cumberland was populated by several commercial greenhouses beginning in the late 1800s until the 1960s, and was once known as the carnation producing capital of the country.