Contributed by Kennebunkport Historical Society
The presence of trolleys, horse-drawn buggies, and automobiles in this photograph of Dock Square in Kennebunport reveals a historic transition in transportation.
Automobiles eventually competed with trolleys (or electric railways) as they allowed people to go where and when they wanted, without relying on public transportation.
The "To Our Soldiers and Sailors" monument was added in 1909.
About This Item
- Title: Dock Square, Kennebunkport, ca. 1912
- Creation Date: circa 1912
- Subject Date: circa 1912
- Local Name: Dock Square
- Town: Kennebunkport
- County: York
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 10.5 cm x 18 cm
- Local Code: H724
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Kennebunkport Historical Society
P. O. Box 1173, Kennebunkport, ME 04046
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Electric railroads--Maine--Kennebunkport
- Street railroads--Maine--Kennebunkport
- Atlantic Shore Line Railway
- Carts & wagons--Maine--Kennebunkport
- City & town life--Maine--Kennebunkport
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.