Contributed by McArthur Public Library
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Unidentified men working with the finisher pickers in the Pepperell Mills, Biddeford, circa 1925.
These machines cleaned and fluffed the cotton into a uniform sheet called "lap."
The man in the tank shirt is weighing a roll of lap. Stacked rolls of lap which have come off the finisher picker machines line the walls under the windows. The man in the dress-shirt is probably an overseer or some kind of supervisor.
About This Item
- Title: Finisher pickers, Pepperell Mills, Biddeford, ca. 1925
- Creation Date: circa 1925
- Subject Date: circa 1925
- Town: Biddeford
- County: York
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 12.5 cm x 17.5 cm
- Local Code: 2819
- Collection: Pepperell Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:McArthur Public Library
PO Box 346, Biddeford, ME 04005
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Textile mill workers--Maine--Biddeford
- Textile factories--Maine--Biddeford
- Pepperell Manufacturing Company
- Textile industry--Equipment and supplies--Maine--Biddeford
- Textile industry--Maine--Biddeford
- Milling machines
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.