Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Rev. Austin Willey (1806-1896) was editor of the Maine Anti-Slavery Society newspaper Advocate of Freedom from 1839-1841, the Liberty Standard from 1842-1845, and the Portland Inquirer from 1851-1854.
He later wrote The History of the Anti-Slavery Cause in the State and Nation (1886). The image is the frontispiece of that book.
About This Item
- Title: Austin Willey, Portland, ca. 1885
- Creator: B. Thurston publishers
- Creation Date: circa 1885
- Subject Date: circa 1885
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: 326.4 W669; QJ 326.4 W669
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Antislavery movements--United States
- Willey, Austin, 1806-1896--Portrait photographs
- United States--Politics and government--1783-1865
- United States--Antislavery movements--History
- Maine--Politics and government
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.