Contributed by Farnsworth Art Museum through Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum and Arctic Studies Center
An offshoot of the main Bowdoin College Scientific Expedition to Labrador, The Grand River Party consisted of Bowdoin men Austin Cary, class of 1887, of Machias, Dennis Cole, class of 1888, of Fryeburg, W.R. Smith, class of 1890, of Litchfield, and Ernest Young, class of 1891, of Brunswick.
Their goal was to reach the Grand Falls, but injury would force Young and Smith to turn back, leaving Cary and Cole to go it alone through the Labrador wilderness.
About This Item
- Title: Grand Falls Expedition party, Labrador, 1891
- Creation Date: 1891
- Subject Date: 1891
- State: Labrador
- Media: Photographic print
- Local Code: 1996.11.24
- Collection: Farnsworth Art Museum - Rockland Camera Club Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum and Arctic Studies Center
Bowdoin College, 9500 College Station, Brunswick, ME 04011-8495
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Arctic regions--Discovery and exploration
- Scientific expeditions--Arctic regions
- Bowdoin College--People
- Bowdoin College Scientific Expedition to Labrador
- Grand Falls Expedition
- Julia A. Decker (Ship)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.