Civil War Soldiers' Monument postcard, Bath, ca. 1940
This "Photolux" black-and-white postcard with divided back of the Soldiers' Monument and cannon with the Sagadahoc County Courthouse in the background shows Centre Street rising to meet High Street. The monument to those lost in the Civil War was undertaken by the city in 1867, just as planning for the Courthouse across the street was becoming a reality. The monument lists the names of the 109 men who died during the War from wounds or disease, a list of tragic stories ranging from young George and Joseph Pepper to John S. Stacy. George died from disease at home in November of 1862, while Joseph died in April of 1862, the first man of the Union Army killed in McClellan's advance on Richmond. John Stacy enlisted in November of 1861, taking five or six years off his age when providing details on the muster roll. He was dead at the age of fifty a year later in Frederick City, Maryland of his wounds. As Henry Owen wrote in his history of Bath, "Bath was one of the few communities in the State to contribute to the Union army a complete company which existed prior to the call for troops," in the Bath City Grays that constituted Company A of the 3rd Maine Volunteer Infantry. Altogether Owen estimated that the total number from Bath that served in the armed forces during the four years of the Civil War was not less than 800, or about one-tenth of the total population.
If you'd like to privately share a comment with MMN staff, please use this form.