Schooner Lizzie Carr, Thomaston, ca. 1875
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The 286 ft. schooner Lizzie Carr, 342 tons, was built by Walker, Dunn and Company in 1868 for use in transporting lumber. Walker, Dunn & Co. was reorganized as Dunn and Elliot in 1880 and was in operation until 1920. She was lost in a storm on January 15, 1905 off the coast of Rye, New Hampshire. At the time, the crew was rescued and the vessel was beached. A portion of the schooner's hull was revealed after a storm in 1998 redistributed the sandy beach in which she lay buried. In this photo the vessel is secured to a wharf in Singer's shipyard on Water Street in Thomaston. Behind the schooner is Water Street, which is lined with 19th century shipworkers' and riggers' houses.