Contributed by New Gloucester Historical Society
Girls in the day room of New Gloucester Hall at Pownal State School in New Gloucester.
The building opened in 1919 as the boy's residence. It closed in 1980.
By the late 1930, the school had more than 1,000 residents.
About This Item
- Title: Girls, New Gloucester Hall, Pownal State School, ca. 1937
- Creation Date: circa 1937
- Subject Date: circa 1937
- Town: New Gloucester
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 17 cm x 24.5 cm
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:New Gloucester Historical Society
PO Box 531, New Gloucester, ME 04260
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Hospitals--Maine--New Gloucester
- Mentally ill persons
- Pineland Farms, Inc. (New Gloucester, Me.)
- Pineland Hospital and Training Center (New Gloucester, Me.)
- Pineland Center (New Gloucester, Me.)
- Mental institutions--Maine--New Gloucester
- Maine School for the Feeble-Minded (1908-1925)
- Pineland Center (1973-1996)
- Pineland Hospital and Training Center (1957-1973)
- Pownal State School (1925-1957)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.