Contributed by Poland Spring Preservation Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
A baseball game at the Poland Spring resort with the Poland Spring House in the background.
Organized sports were one of the popular entertainments at the resort, which opened in 1797 as an inn along the Montreal to Boston stage line.
The resort also featured a golf course, beach, nature trails and horseback riding.
Louis Sockalexis of Old Town played for the resort team prior to playing for the Cleveland Spiders.
About This Item
- Title: Baseball game, Poland Spring, ca. 1900
- Creation Date: 1900
- Subject Date: 1900
- Town: Poland Spring
- County: Androscoggin
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Poland Spring Preservation Society
PO Box 444, Poland Spring, ME 04274
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Poland Spring Hotel (Poland Spring, Me.)
- Springs--Maine--Poland Spring
- Hotels--Maine--Poland Spring
- Resorts--Maine--Poland Spring
- Ricker, Hiram, 1809-1893
- Hiram Ricker & Sons
- Water--Maine--Poland Spring
- Mineral waters--Maine--Poland Spring
- Mineral water industry--Maine--Poland Spring
- Sports--Maine--Poland Spring
- Baseball--Maine--Poland Spring
- Spectators--Maine--Poland Spring
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.